What is PrEP?
PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV)
- PrEP is a pill you can take to protect you from HIV.
- It is extremely effective when taken properly.
- If you take PrEP correctly, you do not need to worry about a sexual partner’s HIV status.
- You are protecting your own HIV negative status by taking PrEP.
PrEP stands for pre-exposure prophylaxis.
How effective is PrEP?
- PrEP is more than 99% effective at stopping HIV infection, when taken correctly.
- Globally, hundreds of thousands of people take PrEP.
- Very few HIV infections have been reported from when people were using the prescribed dose.
Who is PrEP for?
PrEP is available to anyone who may be exposed to the HIV virus.
- Men who have sex with men
- Commercial sex workers
- Trans people
- People who are HIV negative and are in a relationship with someone who is HIV positive
How to access PrEP
Anyone can access PrEP from their local sexual health clinic. PrEP patients will be regularly screened for all STIs but especially HIV.
To request an appointment from the axess service, patients can contact us on
0300 323 1300*
*see website for telephone opening times
Ask for a PrEP assessment