PRE-INTRAUTERINE (copper IUD) OR
AN INTRAUTERINE SYSTEM (IUS Mirena /Kyleena/Jaydess) ADVICE SHEET
If you have made an appointment at one of our clinics for a coil / Intra Uterine Contraception (IUC) fitting or replacement please read the information below.
This 30 minute appointment allows us to assess whether fitting a coil / IUC is safe and appropriate. In nearly all cases and after a few questions we can fit the coil / IUC there and then, however on occasion we may make a clinical decision not to fit it for you / go ahead at that appointment.
Things to remember when attending your coil/ IUC appointment:
- Insertion/fitting - if you are attending to have a new coil fitted it's important that there is no risk of pregnancy. Please avoid sex, or use a more reliable method (not condoms or withdrawal) from your last period, or for at least 3 weeks prior, to your appointment date.
- Replacement - if you are attending to have your coil / IUC replaced, please do not have sex for the 7 days before attending, in case we are not able to re-insert / fit a new one on that day, and you would have to rebook your appointment.
- Emergency contraceptive purposes - if you've been advised to consider a copper coil / IUD for emergency contraception, the clinician will assess you at your appointment to check it's still safe to go ahead. Please take emergency pills if you are offered them in case you are unable to have the IUD.
- Arrival - always arrive 10 minutes before your appointment time. Coil / IUC appointments are very popular and our clinics are always very busy. If you are more than 10 minutes late we won’t have time to see you and you’ll have to rebook your appointment.
- Pregnancy test. –please ensure you will be able to provide a urine sample on the day for a pregnancy test prior to the procedure.
- Childcare -– please arrange childcare when attending for your procedure, or bring a responsible adult with you who can watch your child / children. If you bring young children without someone to mind them, we may not be able to go ahead.
- Pain relief - although this is usually a brief procedure, some women find it uncomfortable and so we recommend you take a mild painkiller, like paracetamol or ibuprofen, prior to attending your appointment. It’s always sensible to have eaten something prior to your appointment, as this will reduce the likelihood of you feeling faint or lightheaded. Please bring a Sanitary towel with you, as you may experience some bleeding.
Have someone available to travel home with you – in the event you feel a bit unsettled from the procedure.
Further information available as follows: read the leaflets at www.fpa.org.uk, Guidance at www.fsrh.org . Watch the video on IUD/IUS (http://www.lothiansexualhealth.scot.nhs.uk/)
Your coil / IUC will be fitted by a trained and experienced doctor or nurse. If for any reason you can’t make your appointment, please cancel by calling 0300 323 1300. Cancelling your appointment means we can free up your appointment for someone else.
We look forward to seeing you at your appointment.